FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Anyone worked on a Bagman ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone worked on a Bagman ?
    Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:54am
I have an original Valadon Automatics Bagman pcb.
It looks like a transistor and heat sink from close to the edge has been removed for some reason?

After a bit of research, most of the pinouts for this game seem wrong. Does anyone have the schematics, so I can work out an adaptor to test it? Not even sure it’d Work without the transistor anyway?
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
t-m View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:18am
Yes, most of the pinouts online are for the Stern board.  This board is 99% the same but with the power supply components removed, I usually convert the Valadon boards to this pinout so they're all the same.

I can look up the conversion steps if it'd help, it sounds like someone may have already had a go at it but it's worth checking over before plugging in.  Upon investigation I became pretty sure that they're using a diode to drop the voltage for the TMS5110A and you don't want to fry this.
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:10am
Yes please. Knowing where I got it from, it’s probably already been fried :(

Check out the podcast

jonhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 11:46am
From what I know of my board, there would have been an onboard AC circuit on this particular PCB. It is the blue PCB, correct? Similar to the way Galaxian works on an AC input and converts to DC on the board.

Sounds like yours is possibly DC converted as is mine. I have an adapter for mine, cannot remember if I built it myself but can take a look for you.
jonhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 11:50am
I think a DC input into the AC circuit wouldn’t kill it, since that is the eventual voltage requirement. Different the other way around I imagine.
jonhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 12:07pm
Link to a board:

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77627&title=fsbagman-valadon-pcb

The AC section is mainly covered by the Bagman sticker. I found my adapter - I have used the same pinouts for the Stern and Valadon PCBs.
t-m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 12:42pm
Yep, the Stern board has an external PSU.  At first glance it looks like they're the same with just the AC bits missing but they bridged a few tracks to connect it all up.
GadgetFreak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:03pm
I picked one of these up of vectrex before christmas, it still had all the A/C bits on it so I decided to fully convert it to DC. I didn't use a guide but did work from the Le Bagnard pinouts on Arcade Museum for reference. The -5vdc is important as it powers the speech chip. I probably removed extra diodes but I wanted to avoid any voltage drops.
The pinouts link is Le Bagnard

Here is a pic of my board.

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:07pm
Mine has a bunch of big ass caps still attached to it.
It had the big heat sink & transistor removed and has some thick wire jumpers on the solder side.

I’ll get some pictures up tonight.
It also had some thick black wires (snipped already) attaches to the GND pins of the board.

Check out the podcast

t-m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:19pm
You can leave the caps and the transistor.  But be careful with the diodes, the game is using two diodes to drop -1.5v  to the TMS5110.  I will get some pictures later

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:22pm
Vic - I found another one when I was there so unless that was left you should have two if you picked it up.

Edited by Alpha1 - 11 Jan 2018 at 1:22pm
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:45pm
It must have been left. I only have one.

Check out the podcast

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by t-m t-m wrote:

You can leave the caps and the transistor.  But be careful with the diodes, the game is using two diodes to drop -1.5v  to the TMS5110.

Certainly on the Stern schematics that would appear to be the case but on my Valadon board there was a -5v regulator after the diodes which is not shown on the Stern diagrams. These diodes were on the right of the above picture and as you can see I have wire links in them. I have run my board extensively and not had any issues with the full -5v being fed to the TMS5110.
I have also created patches for the rom set that Flip the screen, add Freeplay cycling demo mode and save the high scores if you change the ram chip out for a non volatile version.
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:46pm
Here it is (as is)

Check out the podcast

t-m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:40am
I managed to get some pictures.
Stern board:

Valadon board:

The conversion...
Remove the four diodes and two regulators in red,  add the three links in blue - one replaces a diode removed and the small link goes in the top two holes where the -5v regulator was (the two nearest the small cap).  Vic the larger link on the top left of the picture is the same as the one done on the bottom of your board.  However it looks like they brought -5v in on pin 5 instead of 4.  I think the pinout on mikes arcade is the best, the one on Klov seems to have things missing and they list another for Le Bagnard.

I did mine to be fairly close to the Stern board but also removing as few parts as possible.  The Stern board has some tracks joined that are difficult to see without close examination.  Also one of the two series diodes for the -5v feed to the speech chip I left in one of the existing diodes whereas they patched one in where the regulator used to be.  The second one is actually over to the right of the line of resistors.

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:19am
Thanks! I’ll try and give it a go over the weekend.

Check out the podcast

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 12:46am
I don't have the blue heat sink or the component on it.

Check out the podcast

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:37am
It doesn't matter that will not be used if you are using the board with DC voltage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic